Author Topic: IAC Mod. 97 shotgun  (Read 5178 times)

bad ramon

IAC Mod. 97 shotgun
« on: December 12, 2010, 11:28:06 AM »
               About 6 months ago I purchased an IAC mod. 97 shotgun. When I took it out of the box and looked at it, it says; Mod 93/97 on the barrel just in front of the reciever. On the right-hand side of the barrel it says:" IAC BILLERICA MA. CHINA S.D.1." The top of the barrel says;"12GA 20" 2 3/4" M".  I have not fired it as yet. I plan to take apart and thoroughly clean and degrease and relubricate before I shoot it. Also on the bottom of the reciever is the serial #06 005XX. Is this shotgun legal for Wildbunch? I sure hope I didn't get the wrong gun. The action seems to be very smooth and I plan to shoot it in the near future. Thanks,..........................Ray

KingSnake

Re: IAC Mod. 97 shotgun
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2010, 12:16:07 PM »
I believe the 93 model was black powder and it was updated to use smokeless powder (plus some mechanical updates also) and became the 97. You should be good to shoot WB with it in my opinion.
I'm sure someone with more info than me will give you a more exact reply soon.

KingSnake

Garrison Joe

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2010, 01:12:19 PM »
IAC uses shipping cartons that are, sadly, mislabeled.  They must have bought thousands of those 93/97 boxes and are still shipping guns in them that are true 97 clones, not the 93/97 hybrid that a vendor had made up in the 2005-6 timeframe.  Your seiral number indicates a gun made in 2006.   If the rear of the ejection port does NOT have a deep cut reaching from the left edge of the cut to the left edge of the receiver itself, in the shape of a semicircle, then it is not a 93 clone.   

Most of these guns are copies of the '97, so the ejection port is cut straight on the left side of the port, not deeply scalloped.

You have a pretty good copy.   It probably has the buttons on the side of the frame, to allow you to empty the mag tube by pressing the buttons.  Some of the '09 production (serial # starts with 09) have been made in the very early '97 style, where the buttons are left off, just screws show out the side of the frame at the back of the shell stops.  Those "historically correct" (as they are marketed) 97's have to be unloaded by working shells from the tube through the action.

Anyway, your gun shouild be completely legal and a good find.  Hopefully, it has the American walnut wood, not the red-painted white Chinese wood, which does not hold up real well.

Good luck, good shooting, GJ
Good luck, GJ

Ride hard, shoot straight and speak the truth.  Why else would you want to be here?
NM State Wild Bunch Traditional Champion 2013
NM State 2013 Championship, Wild Bunch Side Match Traditional & Overall 1st

Blackfoot

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2010, 03:10:40 PM »
The model 93/97 is not a SASS legal gun.  What it says on the box may or may not be what it is.  If it says 93/97 on the barrel I would venture that it is a 93/97 and not SASS legal. 

Blackfoot
In God we trust!
Shoot fast, miss slow, have fun!

Mink Shoals Bandit

• KVR
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2010, 04:22:15 PM »
If it looks like this, it is NOT SASS legal......................Mink..............

http://www.coyotecap.com/mod__93-97_wcse.html

bad ramon

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2010, 05:20:26 PM »
                   Thanks so much for all you have shown me. The way it looks, my gun is NOT Sass legal. Times are kind of tuff right now, so it might be a while before I can get into Wildbunch. Have a good one,.....................Ray