Author Topic: Heavy bullets in 45LC  (Read 5923 times)

Lee S. Forsberg

Heavy bullets in 45LC
« on: June 07, 2012, 09:37:10 PM »
Anyone have loads for heavy bullets in 45LC, 300-400gr? For a T/C hunting.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 04:55:48 PM by Lee S. Forsberg »

Garrison Joe

Re: Heavy bullets in 45LC
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2012, 11:12:47 PM »
Sure.   But a load for WB shooting, or pig hunting?

And how heavy?  Some folks try to pretend the old Colt is an elephant gun.

GJ
Good luck, GJ

Ride hard, shoot straight and speak the truth.  Why else would you want to be here?
NM State Wild Bunch Traditional Champion 2013
NM State 2013 Championship, Wild Bunch Side Match Traditional & Overall 1st

Garrison Joe

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2012, 11:18:52 AM »
Well, since you still didn't tell us for what gun and what purpose, I'll just refer you to check the Hodgdon's data on-line. 

Looks like H110 powder would work for you with bullets ranging from 300 to 360 grains.  Loads are shown for Ruger Blackhawk level pressures.  Those loads would of course be a disaster in a Colt or Uberti SAA clone.

See: http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp

That range of bullet weights actually is outside my experience loading for .45 Colt.     265's are heavy enough for anything I wanted to shoot with a handgun.

Good luck, GJ
Good luck, GJ

Ride hard, shoot straight and speak the truth.  Why else would you want to be here?

Lee S. Forsberg

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2012, 05:07:53 PM »
Well, since you still didn't tell us for what gun and what purpose, I'll just refer you to check the Hodgdon's data on-line. 

Looks like H110 powder would work for you with bullets ranging from 300 to 360 grains.  Loads are shown for Ruger Blackhawk level pressures.  Those loads would of course be a disaster in a Colt or Uberti SAA clone.

See: http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp

That range of bullet weights actually is outside my experience loading for .45 Colt.     265's are heavy enough for anything I wanted to shoot with a handgun.

Good luck, GJ

Your right I should have given more information. H110 or 296 are good powders for straight wall cases. Thought maybe someone had some experience with double base powders like RL#7 or AA5744.

Garrison Joe

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2012, 05:13:54 PM »
Lee - lots more hunters would see this question over on the regular SASS wire.   This only has maybe 10% as many folks reading it.

Good luck with a good hunting load.

GJ
Good luck, GJ

Garrison Joe

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2012, 09:05:11 PM »
Lee - lots more hunters would see this question over on the regular SASS wire.   This only has maybe 10% as many folks reading it.

Good luck with a good hunting load.

GJ

PS -
Think you will find RL7 to be too slow a powder for a pistol type cartridge like .45 Colt.    The major loading manuals specify Win 296 as the highest-velocity powder under a 300 grain slug, which is the heaviest jacketed slug for .45 Colt by most makers.

Good luck, GJ
Good luck, GJ

Mink Shoals Bandit

• KVR
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2012, 12:20:01 PM »
Anyone have loads for heavy bullets in 45LC, 300-400gr? For a T/C hunting.

I guess you mean a Thompson Contender by T/C ?  Here's some info on heavy loads for the 45lc, mostly 250gr, not much on 300gr bullets. I would be very careful when developing a load in that pressure range as it could be very dangerous and disastrous. I have seen more than a few Super Blackhawks totally destroyed in the process...
http://www.chuckhawks.com/high-pressure45.htm

...........Mink........

Cpt Dan Blodgett

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2012, 11:22:26 PM »
The Accurate No@ Manual Lists loads for 300 grain speer and hornandy bullets.  Charges same for both bullet OAL .005 longer for the speer Speer max velocity 847 and 807 for the hornandy bullet from a 7.5 inch douglas barrel using AA #9 powder.  Loads were restricted to 45 APC +P pressure limits as 45 Colt brass is not as strong as 44 mag.
Queen of Battle

EazyT

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2012, 09:24:38 AM »
I am still not comfortable that you haven't confirmed your shooting a T/C or Ruger that can handle the pressure. However I will assume you are shooting such a gun. As far as heavy bullets go the biggest I have for my Ruger Super Black hawk is Lee's 310gr gas checked version that I cast myself. You have to see the massive meplat of this bullet! Its the biggest of all Lee bullet molds I am told. I actually haven't had a chance to develop a load for it yet but I will share what I know about such loads.

There are actually 3 pressure levels for the 45 Colt. Standard 14k psi max, +P at 21k psi max, and +P+ is around 30k. So the question, just how much power (recoil) do you want/need.

I don't care for that much recoil so I am going to try Accurate Arms data which is 15gr of #9. That gets me somewhere between 900 to 1000 fps with a 300gr (in my case 310, not that it matters) at only 19k psi so recoil shouldn't be that bad. Sorry about the wide velocity spread, but my Lee reloading Manuel and Speer Manuel list slightly different velocities.

If you want the max loads then your looking at H110/Win 296 (they are essentially the same according to the powder companies so reloading data can be shared between them) and Lgun are your main choices. If you go with H110/W296 keep in mind that powder really likes Magnum primers and high pressures. It burns very dirty at less than max loads. Lilgun meters better in most powder measures, doesn't require mag primers, and burns cleaner at less than max pressures. Its usually a few fps slower but definitely in the same power class as H110 though. It has a bad rap for heating up guns in high volume shooting, but in a T/C that shouldn't be a problem lol.

Report back with your range results, interested to know how it works out :-)

Boggus Deal

• WBAS Committee & Ambassadors
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2012, 02:46:47 PM »
Shot many, many, many 335-395 gr bullets in Ruger 45 Colts. H110/296(same powder, different can) is great but also Lil'Gun. Hodgdon's data site and Cast Performance Bullet Company's site provide lots of good load data. What most people don't realize is that the 45 Colt, in the right guns, is a much better cartridge than the .44 Magnum. I have both and have hunted with both and the 45 is a better cartridge. I have no doubt that if Elmer Keith had had the guns, brass and powders we do today, the 44 Magnum would never had come about.