Author Topic: 1911 remington r1 or para gi  (Read 3106 times)

tangleridgeslim

1911 remington r1 or para gi
« on: March 21, 2012, 11:11:24 PM »
I know the Remington is legal for trad. If sights blacked out. What about the Para GI and how do they compare .
Thanks Tangledridgeslim

Pecos Clyde

• http://shootingsolutions.vpweb.com/
    • Shooting Solutions Unlimited
Re: 1911 remington r1 or para gi
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2012, 11:35:45 PM »

In order for the para GI expert to be legal in Traditional the hammer and trigger have to be replaced.   I have not shot a remington but have heard from reliable sources that they are nice pistols.  I have shot two para GI's, one of which I replaced the hammer and trigger on so it could be shot in Traditional.  I like the finish, called para-kote, and both of them had 4 to 5 pound triggers out of the box.  One had almost no creep and the other had more creep than I would care for. 

PC

Welcome to the WBAS wire
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 11:40:26 PM by Pecos Clyde »
There is no "right way" to do a wrong thing.

John Browning was a genius!!

Wild Bodie Tom

• WBAS Committee & Ambassadors
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2012, 10:02:17 AM »
No Para experience here.......well, lately anyway. No comment.
The Remington is a nice pistol. Did have a bit of disparity on the trigger track on the last one through the shop.....But that happens even on horsey guns............Accumulation of tolerance runs rampant no matter what the base pistol may be........
And yes, it was something that was able to be worked out.
Ya have to love working on any gun..........LOL
Have to keep the parts suppliers in business, as thats where all the potential profits always end up going to anyway. Glad to have helped them maintain their business over the last 35 years......... I have plenty of other smiths that also do their part in keeping the economy alive and well as well..........
Wild Bodie Tom
Wild Bunch addict

"Guilty by association"
Team BROTHEL BOYS  Co-founder
Regulator
Wild Bunch, and Wild Wimens
"Its not that I think you are dumb, Its just that so much of what you say you know is not true"

VICIOUS

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2012, 02:48:13 AM »
HI; I got a GI PARA. It is accurate for me.Left the new mags in the box and got a bunch of kimber pro tac mags. They drop free and have interchanable base plates to use in other events. Works better after 500 round break in. Feeds most all my reloads as long as they are within spec.Trigger was good from the box. I am used to 1 and a half pound ruger single action so had a trigger stop and bit lighter springs installed by a gunsmith. Also changed to a checkered backstrap. The finish will wear some but its OK for me
  I use 200 grain RNFP lead bullets same as I use in the 45 colt. The sights are good but I had the rear sight made wider, old eyes. The plastic grips are telfon coated, dumped them and got wood double diamond.
  I wanted a basic 1911 design, yes I would buy it again, maybe in stainless steel but the dark one looks better for my use. Guess I will end up like so many others and have several 1911 before this ride is over.

Kulshan

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2012, 10:38:52 PM »
Went to put in a longer mag release, well what do you know.  The hole in the frame is smaller than standard.  The last Para I will ever buy.  That's easy to say after getting my SR1911.

dubious don

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2012, 11:50:39 PM »
I got both and I like both but I don't shoot'em for WB...that's my Springfield GI. The Para is their WB model, decent pistol. The Remington is prettier but both are decent and well worth the money.