Author Topic: IAC 1911A1, made by Trabzon(Turkey)  (Read 4647 times)

Garrison Joe

IAC 1911A1, made by Trabzon(Turkey)
« on: November 23, 2011, 11:19:31 AM »
Pards, I stumbled on an example of a 1911 clone that I had not seen before.

IAC has been shipping some of their 1911 A1 copies to dealers, for about 2 years, I suppose.   But, I had not run across one or heard one discussed here.   While in Tombstone, AT, last week, a gunshop there had one on display.  Although I just got to look it over briefly, here's what I saw.

Configuration: pretty standard 1911 A1 setup.  Matte blue.  Fixed, low, military sights, no dots.  Rear slide serration.   Grooved arched mainspring housing.   Military size and shape controls, but thumb safety more like a Colt Series 70.   No trigger safety interlock.   Standard 1911 A1 grip safety shape.   Stainless barrel.   Did not remember seeing a relieved ejection port, just standard.  Double-diamond checkered brown plastic grips.   No name magazine.  Gunshop clerk, of course, reported that at the range it ran hardball just fine and reasonable accuracy.  Trigger pull pretty good with a slight two-stage feel.  Hammer was a WW II wide spur style.   From looking at the outside, the hammer seems to be made of cast or MIM metal.  Fit and finish were good - no glaring tooling marks or sloppy buffing.

Pricing: At this shop, $499.  

Reports on line are that the frame is cast, like Armscorp guns.  And slide milled from bar.

Looks like it might turn out to be a pretty good gun.  Anyone shooting one that can give a more detailed report?

Good luck, GJ
« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 12:22:27 PM by Garrison Joe »
Good luck, GJ

Ride hard, shoot straight and speak the truth.  Why else would you want to be here?
NM State Wild Bunch Traditional Champion 2013
NM State 2013 Championship, Wild Bunch Side Match Traditional & Overall 1st

Pecos Clyde

• http://shootingsolutions.vpweb.com/
    • Shooting Solutions Unlimited
Re: IAC 1911A1, made by Trabzon(Turkey)
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2011, 09:43:11 PM »
Hey GJ

I had one of these new IAC 1911's put in my hot little hand today.  I am going to test it out this weekend, and I will offer the WBAS forum a report on my experience with it.

PC
There is no "right way" to do a wrong thing.

John Browning was a genius!!

Pecos Clyde

• http://shootingsolutions.vpweb.com/
    • Shooting Solutions Unlimited
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2011, 04:49:13 PM »
OK then

Shot the IAC today.  Everything GJ gave in hs general description I concur with.  The exception is they must hav run out of brown plastic cause these grips are black checkered plastic.

I shot 230 hardball, 230 speer gold dot JHP, and my own 230 Bear creek moly bullets.  I used both CM and Tripp magazines.  shot it both one and two handed.  In total I fired 60 rounds.  

The first thing I noticed is ths is one tightly fitted 1911, slide to frame that is.  All of the different ammo ran fine through the pistol, and there was no issue with either brand of magazine.  I did have one stove pipe out of the first 5 rounds (which were hardball).  I think that is directly related to the tight fit, and would expect that after 500 rounds stove pipes would be a thing of the past.  I also had one FTF which required a Tap to the rear of the slide to complete the chambering......this was about round number 23 or 24.  I still think this is related to a brand new pistol with a very tight frame to slide fit.

The trigger pull was 8 to 8 1/2 pounds in the shop.  Or to put it another way the trigger pull was terrible.  The trigger also had a fair amount of creep, and the trigger reset was long.  In any 1911 the trigger is always the least of my concerns because it is relatively easy to fix.  But, I am certain that the heavy pull, and the trigger creep, detracted from the pistols grouping ability.

I shot paper at 7 yards.  Groups for three 7 round magazines of hardball were on the order of 1.5 to 2 inches.  Not great, but shootable for most WBAS scenarios (remember the 8lb trigger pull).  I shot 1.75 liter soda bottles at 15 to 20yards and it was point of aim, point of impact if I concentrated on the trigger pull.

The controls all functioned as they should.  The slide release did, the magazine release did, the grip safety was the thumb safety was, and the trigger did pull.  Although the magazines fell out of the pistol they seemed to do so slowly....but they did come out reliably.

I am absolutely not a fan of the M1911 sights, either front or rear.  It was taking me WAAAYYYYY tooooo much time to be sure I was actually seeing the front sight.....and the sights only exaggerated the heavy/creepy trigger issues.

But as someone very interested in seeing WBAS grow I will say this.  For the money  (and I have seen these IAC 1911's as low as $349.00 per copy) this is easily a very functional WB pistol.

If I was starting out in WB I would consider thie IAC 1911 if I was tight for money.  Remember the old saying about "you get what you pay for" is realistic however.  The vey frst thing I would do is work, (or have work done) on the trigger.  The trigger did feel somewhat lighter after shooting just 60 rounds (however I will measure trigger pull again during the upcoming week to see if that was just my wishful thinking.)

The next thng regardless of what shooting category i was interested in, would be to replace the front and rear sights.  Whenever I look at the M1911 sights I just figure that as much as I think JMB was a genius I also think he let the janitor of the factory design those sights.....I know, thats blasphemy, but I can't help it.  

I also recently came into possession of a relatively new Auto Ordnance M1911.  I will put it thru the same testing session as the IAC went thru soon to get a comparison.

PC
« Last Edit: December 11, 2011, 04:56:08 PM by Pecos Clyde »
There is no "right way" to do a wrong thing.

John Browning was a genius!!

Legendary Lawman

• WBAS Committee & Ambassadors
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2011, 08:29:20 PM »
Thanks Pecos for giving us so much detail.  I'm not in the market right now but I am sure it will help people who are out shopping for a new 1911.

It wouldn't surprise me if some are even lucky enough to find one under the tree in a week!

Legendary Lawman