Author Topic: Wishin and Hopin: .45 ACP lever gun  (Read 6681 times)

Currahee

Wishin and Hopin: .45 ACP lever gun
« on: September 27, 2011, 10:17:02 AM »
In a better world: a 16" trapper?   ;D

DUSTY BODDAMS

• Global Moderator
Re: Wishin and Hopin: .45 ACP lever gun
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2011, 02:10:48 PM »
 ;D I'VE HEARD TELL OF SUCH A THING DOWN IN THE GREAT STATE OF TEXAS. ................ a feller went look'n for a 45acp rifle and quickly found out they don't exist in enough numbers to go out and buy one........................ this feller has to much time and not enough sense  so he starts searching  forums andd most of what he saw was it can't be done . to much money. to short cartridge  etc. etc.  then he see's the widermaker in c45s and  and it feeds and functions soooo he buys a 44 mag. model 94 marlin  and a barrel  in 45 gets them married . after a little trial and error they lived happily ever after.  the marlin feeds 45 acp and it ejects them as well.  real accurate to boot............................dusty

Currahee

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2011, 02:50:05 PM »
;D I'VE HEARD TELL OF SUCH A THING DOWN IN THE GREAT STATE OF TEXAS. ................ a feller went look'n for a 45acp rifle and quickly found out they don't exist in enough numbers to go out and buy one........................ this feller has to much time and not enough sense  so he starts searching  forums andd most of what he saw was it can't be done . to much money. to short cartridge  etc. etc.  then he see's the widermaker in c45s and  and it feeds and functions soooo he buys a 44 mag. model 94 marlin  and a barrel  in 45 gets them married . after a little trial and error they lived happily ever after.  the marlin feeds 45 acp and it ejects them as well.  real accurate to boot............................dusty

Dusty,
You're not pulling my leg? 
Widermaker? Who did this work? 
I would seriously like to look into this.
-C

Wild Bodie Tom

• WBAS Committee & Ambassadors
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2011, 02:55:48 PM »
Try this guy.
www.cowboy45special.com

Perhaps they can help ya out............
Wild Bodie Tom
Wild Bunch addict

"Guilty by association"
Team BROTHEL BOYS  Co-founder
Regulator
Wild Bunch, and Wild Wimens
"Its not that I think you are dumb, Its just that so much of what you say you know is not true"

DUSTY BODDAMS

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2011, 08:25:58 AM »
CURRAHEE,  now widdermaker didn't have a knowing hand in this  but from his videos on the widdermatic and seeing how his modifications made the marlin run  in c45s which is the same as a 45 acp , think 45 acp with a long  colt rim this Texas  gent decided to make one in 45 acp using the modifications from above.  also as it turns out there was an article written about 30 years ago and the writer had taken the  1894 /44 mag and converted it to 45 acp.  also in the same thought i know of another 94 marlin being converted to c45s which is even easier and cheaper. ----------dusty

Pecos Clyde

• http://shootingsolutions.vpweb.com/
    • Shooting Solutions Unlimited
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2011, 09:10:34 AM »

...........and, while I really don't know anymore about it than this, there is a major manufacturer taking a serious look at producing lever action rifles in .45 acp.......who knows what will come of it, but apparently WBAS has gained their attention.

If and when I get more information to share I will post it. 
There is no "right way" to do a wrong thing.

John Browning was a genius!!

KingSnake

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2011, 10:29:25 AM »

there is a major manufacturer taking a serious look at producing lever action rifles in .45 acp.......who knows what will come of it, but apparently WBAS has gained their attention.

Oh great. Now that I have two '73's in .45LC, I'll want to buy a couple .45acp rifles. Just don't anyone tell my wife.   ;)

KingSnake

DUSTY BODDAMS

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2011, 05:11:20 PM »
until they do come out, building one is not near as big of deal as one would think. ;) of course it would have to be a marlin or a 73. a 92 action that was not made specific would be a nightmare.   the marlin action is not sensitive to overall length if the timing is speeded up on it.   and of course the 73 would have to have the carrier modified and it would work like a champ.    the rifle i'm talking about started out as a 44 mag model 94 marlin. barrel was taken off. new octagon 20" fitted  minus 3/4" for recut on chamber to 45 acp. match grade chamber installed. recut the forearm and had to modify the forearm cap. restained the wood. took the perch belly out.  new mag tube. modified the extractor. speeded the timing way up  by way of an  old trusty stick  welder.  performed the widdermaker mods to it and presto 45 acp rifle that is light fast and handy. i would imagine it'll see some hog duty and maybe deer this fall.
 your wondering right now, how the heck does he know so much about it? ::) ::)  well ..........it's mine i'm the cat from texas and i did some of the work but had a smith do the rechambering and head space.which is critical.  none of the ideas are originally mine i just floated around the internet and stole all the good ones.  i also ignored all the armchair experts that said CAN'T.   some trial and error involved but it was a fun trip and ammo is easy. you also get about 200 more fps out of this rifle compared to our 1911's.              dusty

Currahee

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2011, 08:05:10 AM »
Thanks, Dusty.  ;D

Adirondack Jack

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2011, 06:51:04 PM »
I've worked extensively with short cases in leverguns, mostly with the Cowboy .45 Special, which is for all intents and purposes a .45 ACP with a Colt rim.  AAMOF, before we digress further, if I was loading for WB, I'd load my pistol ammo with ACP cases, switch out my shell holder to the Long Colt size, swap out two small, easy to change bits on the feeder, and fill the case feeder with Cowboy .45 Special brass, and continue....

But to truely run ACP at speed in a levergun presents several problems.  it has been done in both marlins and'92s, but NEVER reliably enough for the kind of operation CAS demands.

If I was gonna HAVE TO do it tomorrow, I'd take a'73 chambered in LONG COLT, have the barrel cut, threaded, and rechambered for ACP (of course the mag tube would need to be cut to match), and install one of my Cowboy Carriers specifically designed to run the short rounds, and I'd be in business.

But I don't find using two different cases objectionable when it is as easy as swapping the shell plate and two feeder bits  on the 650.

yer Marlin is gonna be a lot tougher, and less likely to succeed at speed, frankly.

Lizzie Borden

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2011, 07:48:40 PM »
Anyone have info on a "45 Cowboy load" Please do tell.

Miss Cubbie

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2011, 08:20:08 PM »
Anyone have info on a "45 Cowboy load" Please do tell.

Howdy Lizzie! Welcome to the party... ;D

Look in the forum under the reloading section. If you don't find what you need, PM me and I'll tell you what Gunstock reloads for me.

Lizzie Borden

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2011, 08:47:45 PM »
OK thanks Cubbie will do

cocoffinmaker

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2011, 07:29:51 AM »

There is currently work on another forum about a small manufacturer in the former Checkoslavika who is currently manufacturing a small number of Henry rifles in .45ACP.  It is also advertized there will be a '66 and perhaps a '73 in .45ACP as well.  No confirmation as of yet, but I have seen pictures of the Completed Henry and machined receivers to build more.
Keep Ya Posted :)

Coffinmaker

'Nother suggestion ...... Drop one of AJ's carriers in a .44 Special '66 or '73 and load 44 Russian and you can drop the carrier in a .45 Colt '66 or '73 and shoot C45S.  Tons of FUN!!!!

Grizzly Adams

« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2011, 11:12:06 AM »
If you can read this, thank a teacher.  If you can read this in English, thank a Vet!