Author Topic: Winchester 1897 Feed Tube Problem  (Read 755 times)

Ole Whiskers

Winchester 1897 Feed Tube Problem
« on: January 28, 2014, 10:22:15 AM »
I'm having a problem getting shells in to the feed tube on my "new" 1897.  Most brass based hulls seem to feed but the aluminium based hulls (Winchester Super X) will not feed at all.  So here is a bit of background...just in case I did this to myself.

I just bought the gun (it is a 1919 TD) and took it out to the range on Sunday, seemed to work fine with the brass based ammo I had.  Decided when I got home that it would be a good idea to take apart and clean the slide assembly/feed tube etc.  Once I got done and put everything back together I tried loading some shells (aluminium base cause all the brass ones were gone) and they would not go in the tube.  So here are my questions.

1. Is this a common problem?
2. Could I have put the feed tube on 180' out and would this cause the issue I'm seeing?
3. Is it a good idea to use a brake cylinder hone and polish the breech end of the feed tube?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Ole Whiskers

Boggus Deal

• WBAS Committee & Ambassadors
Re: Winchester 1897 Feed Tube Problem
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2014, 10:43:44 AM »
My first thought is that you may not have it completely seated. Maybe out by one thread. It is possible that it 180 degrees out but there is a tab soldered on the outside of the tube that should be facing the barrel about 10-12 inches from the receiver.

Ole Whiskers

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2014, 11:04:54 AM »
My first thought is that you may not have it completely seated. Maybe out by one thread. It is possible that it 180 degrees out but there is a tab soldered on the outside of the tube that should be facing the barrel about 10-12 inches from the receiver.

Thanks BD, yes it is together with the tab facing the barrel. I'll check to see if I have it all the way engaged.

Ole Whiskers

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2014, 05:01:45 PM »
Here is an update to my feed tube problem.
I went home and measured the OD of the shotshell rim wihich was .88 plus no more than .002 on all the shells.  I disassembled the gun again and also measured the ID of the feed tube...as it turns out it wasn't round.  The ID at the interupted threads was .91 and on the side with no threads it was .87.  Once I coaxed the tube back into round the shells would feed and eject normally. 
Ole Whiskers

Wait A. Minute

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2014, 11:03:38 PM »
Thanks for the info, O. W.
SASS #92384                  Live Simply, Care Deeply, Speak Kindly, Love Generously......         You never know how strong you are ,until being strong is the only choice you have......