Photo

Muffs and shields instead of ear plugs and shooting glasses?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Warden Callaway

Warden Callaway

SASS Wire Vet

• Members
  • 1,306 posts
  • SASS# 99098
  • Owl Creek Raiders

Posted 07 March 2014 - 01:52 AM

Mary does not like earplugs. Most shooting muffs are big and bulky. I see a few warn by shooters in videos that are not nearly as big. Anyone got a recommendation of a small muff that works well for this game?

Also, Mary wears prescription bifocal glasses. Is there any good options besides prescription shooting glasses? Like maybe a clip on safety lense with side shields?
Life member NRA

#2 Tyrel Cody

Tyrel Cody

SASS Wire Vet

• Members
  • 4,498 posts
  • SASS# 96324
  • Wartrace Regulators

Posted 07 March 2014 - 03:54 AM

One of the cowboys up at Bowling Green, KY wears something like these: http://www.esafetysu...CFaVxOgodMQwAvw
I have thoughg about getting something like that for my 10 year old because he has trouble getting ear plugs in hix ears.
God, guns, and guts made America. Let's keep all three.

My YouTube Channel

#3 Count Sandor, SASS #74075

Count Sandor, SASS #74075
  • Territorial Governors
  • 381 posts
  • SASS# 74075 L
  • Illowa Irregulars, Shady Creek Shootists, IBPG, Illinois River City Regulators, Long Nine Cowboys, Fort Des Moines Rangers

Posted 07 March 2014 - 04:07 AM

Warden:

My wife, Bookworm Sandy, was very uncomfortable with the standard ear plugs. We finally got her a set of custom molded ear plugs and the problem was solved. It turned out that her ear canals were very small in diameter, and the expanding foam plugs applied too much pressure for comfort. The custom plugs were somewhere around $50-75, I think, but more than worth it for her. She had hers done by a vendor at "Fandango," the Wisconsin State Shoot.

CS

SBSS#2023 - OGB
Chief Stealth Bullet Investigator of The Holy Roman Empire
Dirty RAT #396
NRA Endowment
SASS Life
ISRA Life
WARTHOG

#4 Coffee Pot SASS#55659

Coffee Pot SASS#55659
  • Members
  • 204 posts
  • SASS# 55659

Posted 07 March 2014 - 04:21 AM

I wear safety glasses that fit over my regular prescription glasses.  Google safety glasses and you'll find lots of them.  They are inexpensive and can be had in clear or various tints. 

#5 Keepin Beararms

Keepin Beararms
  • Members
  • 475 posts
  • Interests:Shootin anythin that goes BANG, Restoring old cars, beein with my honey,
  • SASS# 87409

Posted 07 March 2014 - 04:34 AM

Peltor makes a muff that is low profile and thewires run down. low behind the neck.

#6 Michigan Slim

Michigan Slim

SASS Wire Vet

• Members
  • 1,858 posts
  • Interests:My family and then some other stuff.
  • SASS# 96345
  • Paradise Pass Regulators

Posted 07 March 2014 - 05:15 AM

Check Grainger or Lawson Products (To name a couple) for side shields that slip on the frames of your glasses. I use them at work to good effect. Cheap too!

Michigan Slim
It aint my fault God made critters outta meat!

#7 Chancy Shot, SASS #67163

Chancy Shot, SASS #67163
  • Members
  • 232 posts
  • SASS# 67163
  • ILLOWA IRREGULARS

Posted 07 March 2014 - 05:35 AM

I started out with foam plugs, then went to the molded kind as the Count suggested.  The molded are much more comfortable.  However, when I started running a timer, I really noticed a problem with my hearing.  Many more gunshots that were closer to my ears. The molded plugs were not up to the task.  I am now using these --

http://www.opticspla...CFQ_l7AodHXIAgw

With behind the neck wires (they are on that page but not easy to find) you can wear a hat, hear what's going on around you and be protected from the bang and clang.

That's my story and I am sticking to it.

Chancy

“No man's life, liberty, or property is safe while the legislature is in session.” - Mark Twain (1866)

#8 Edward R S Canby, SASS#59971

Edward R S Canby, SASS#59971

• Members
  • 2,157 posts
  • SASS# 59971
  • Rio Grande Renegades, Magdalena Trail Drivers, Buffalo Range Riders

Posted 07 March 2014 - 06:32 AM

Peltor makes a muff that is low profile and thewires run down. low behind the neck.

I wear these.  My fellow shooters have not criticized me for wearing them.  I like the amplified versions.  They help me spot.  I can hear targets ring from edge shots.

"Civilized men will never live in New Mexico." - General Sibley

#9 Marauder SASS #13056

Marauder SASS #13056

• Members
  • 11,325 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, computers, history
  • SASS# 13056
  • Doc Hollidays Immortals, Macon Cowboys, South River Shootists &Cherokee Cowboys, SBSS #44

Posted 07 March 2014 - 06:33 AM

I bought an inexpensive pair of prescription glasses that are set for my shooting.  Then put some inexpensive safety shields on the side.  Total cost wasn't as much as many good shooting glasses.

"And May God Bless" †

#10 Graverobber Jim

Graverobber Jim
  • Members
  • 12 posts
  • Interests:My Family, camping, shooting, fishing, boating, making sawdust and a veteran Pinelander…
  • SASS# 99698

Posted 07 March 2014 - 06:37 AM

I recommend these:

http://www.opticspla...protectors.html

Have used them for years, just remember to throw a spare set of batteries in your range bag… so easy to talk and shoot without constantly putting plugs in, then taking them out...

SASS #99698

BOLD #1109

#11 Harvey Mushman

Harvey Mushman

SASS Wire Vet

• Members
  • 2,943 posts
  • Interests:NRA Life Patron, US Navy 1967-2001; Vintage motorcycle racing, restoring; CAS; Trap; Skeet; US&World History; Work DoD weapons R&D. God Bless the USA!
  • SASS# Life 83526
  • Robbers Roost Vigilantes, Dammit Gang, RO II

Posted 07 March 2014 - 07:05 PM

I started out with foam plugs, then went to the molded kind as the Count suggested.  The molded are much more comfortable.  However, when I started running a timer, I really noticed a problem with my hearing.  Many more gunshots that were closer to my ears. The molded plugs were not up to the task.  I am now using these --

http://www.opticspla...CFQ_l7AodHXIAgw

With behind the neck wires (they are on that page but not easy to find) you can wear a hat, hear what's going on around you and be protected from the bang and clang.

That's my story and I am sticking to it.

Chancy

Chancy,

I had the same experieince with the first custom molded ones I had done.  I discovered that the operator makes a big difference, as well as the "spacer" they put in your ear first (to keep the stuff off your eardrum), before setting in the molded material itself.  I have had three more pair amde that fit much further into the ear canal and are VERY good - have trouble hearing normal speech, in some cases.

'vThe cheapest and best made custom molded ones I've found at major state or regional shooting matches (SASS, Trap,  etc) where the vendors have a lot of volume and experience - tell them what you want.

Harvey

"A coward dies a thousand deaths, a hero only one."

#12 StirrupTrouble

StirrupTrouble
  • Members
  • 696 posts
  • SASS# 98294
  • Platte Valley Gunslingers

Posted 07 March 2014 - 07:26 PM

I hope this helps. I wear bifocals, and struggled to find decent shooting glasses that would protect me and still let me see. I came across this site and was skeptical because of the price, but I love them. They don't slide down the nose at all, glasses do not fog up, and very comfortable. They also ship extremely fast

http://www.safetygla...om/s3580sj.html

#13 Cpt Dan Blodgett, SASS #75655

Cpt Dan Blodgett, SASS #75655

SASS Wire Vet

• Members
  • 1,504 posts
  • SASS# 75655

Posted 07 March 2014 - 08:05 PM

I have used cardboard from GI bandoleers as side shields slipped over the temples mostly to block sun but they will block splatter as well..  Polycarbonate lenses work just fine as safety glass.  Get my BiFocals from Costco with Poly Carb lenses.  Whole lot less expensive there than optical shops at malls.

Queen of Battle
RO, ROII

#14 Madd Mike #8595

Madd Mike #8595

Wire Vet

• Territorial Governors
  • 14,248 posts
  • Interests:old chevy trucks
  • SASS# 8595L/R Madd Mike
  • Eldorado Cowboys-Lone Wolf

Posted 07 March 2014 - 08:12 PM

I have NOT found muffs small enough to let the shooter month his long gun properly

wood to wood

meaning cheek bone firmly applied to the stock

wood to wood allows for a more consistant anchor point for consistantacy in proper looking down the long barrel

but do what ever works

I you can not ride a horse without spurs, then perhaps, you should not be riding

#15 Warden Callaway

Warden Callaway

SASS Wire Vet

• Members
  • 1,306 posts
  • SASS# 99098
  • Owl Creek Raiders

Posted 08 March 2014 - 12:51 AM

I have NOT found muffs small enough to let the shooter month his long gun properly
wood to wood
meaning cheek bone firmly applied to the stock

wood to wood allows for a more consistant anchor point for consistantacy in proper looking down the long barrel

but do what ever works

I've seen in videos some shooters wearing muffs hardly as big as their ear - stereo headphone size. Maybe that's what they are?

Mary and I are self employed and have to wear hearing protection when working with equipment. I've always wore plugs but Mary wears a forester helmet with muffs. She shoots with the helmet on on our home range. She's yet to shoot at a match. It probably wouldn't look cowgirl to show up at a match with a Husqvarna forester helmet on - even if she put a ribbon and feathers on it!

It looks to be a rainout day so we may go muff and shield shopping. You know women, their fingernail polish, handbag, boots and ear muffs have to coordinate.
Life member NRA

#16 Cheyenne Ranger, 48747L

Cheyenne Ranger, 48747L

• Members
  • 1,088 posts
  • Interests:SASS-Life, USPSA-Life, NRA-Life, bullet casting
  • SASS# 48747L
  • Thunder River Renegades

Posted 08 March 2014 - 07:23 AM

I tried muffs one time and they got in the way when shoot long guns

RO II
Thunder River Renegades
SBSS #1170--OGB

SASS Vet 280

#17 Butch McGie, SASS#71758

Butch McGie, SASS#71758
  • Territorial Governors
  • 405 posts
  • SASS# 71758
  • Sqaw Butte Regulators, Oregon Trail Rough Riders

Posted 08 March 2014 - 07:35 AM

A welding supply store will have side shields  That attach to glasses with a rubber band.  Been using ours for 8 or 9 yrs, and they were not expensive.

#18 Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217

Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217

SASS Wire Vet-e

• Admin
  • 19,972 posts
  • SASS# 25217

Posted 08 March 2014 - 10:36 AM

Hi Warden,

I wear bifocals too. I've tried shooting in them. Yucky! I got prescription transition (turn dark in bright light) lenses that have the clearest view (I forget what that is called) at the distance of my rifle sight. I may be slow; but, I don't miss too many.

Although Holy Terror says in her classes that I've attended, that clear lenses are best, I like transitions.

Regards,

Allie

If you would know a man, observe how he treats a cat. Robert A. Heinlein

What greater gift than the love of a cat. Charles Dickens

The coldest depth of Hell is reserved for people who abandon kittens. Heinlein

Of all God's creatures there is only one that cannot be made the slave of the lash. That one is the cat. If man could be crossed with the cat it would improve man, but it would deteriorate the cat. Mark Twain

Women and cats will do as they please, men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea. Heinlein

Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain - and most fools do. Benjamin Franklin

When a man loves cats, I am his friend and comrade without further introduction. Mark Twain

#19 Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217

Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217

SASS Wire Vet-e

• Admin
  • 19,972 posts
  • SASS# 25217

Posted 08 March 2014 - 10:38 AM

PS I don't think anyone loves ear plugs. You just get accustomed to wearing them. I like the cheap octagonal-shaped (I think they have 8 sides :unsure: ) orange plugs best.

Of all God's creatures there is only one that cannot be made the slave of the lash. That one is the cat. If man could be crossed with the cat it would improve man, but it would deteriorate the cat. Mark Twain

Women and cats will do as they please, men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea. Heinlein

Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain - and most fools do. Benjamin Franklin

When a man loves cats, I am his friend and comrade without further introduction. Mark Twain

#20 Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217

Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217

SASS Wire Vet-e

• Admin
  • 19,972 posts
  • SASS# 25217

Posted 08 March 2014 - 10:41 AM

PPS The ear plugs only have six sides. Here is a photo. http://www.amazon.co...4303968&sr=1-16

#21 Church Key, SASS # 33713

Church Key, SASS # 33713

• Members
  • 2,900 posts
  • Interests:Pistol Shooting of All types
  • SASS# 33713
  • CASS WV, Damascus Wildlife Rangers, Perry County Regulators, Westshore Posse

Posted 08 March 2014 - 11:49 AM

I have a pair of muffs that mount behind the neck, allowing a cowboy hat to be worn. I use them over a pair of custom plugs when shooting indoor matches at the NRA range as they use shotguns in an area with a concrete floor and a steel ceiling (real loud). Another option is a regular pair of muffs over a Civil War cap/kepi.

If you wear Rx glasses, at least add a pair of B52 side shields. Google them as they come in two sizes depending on the glasses. I bought a few pairs a while back for about $6 a pair. Worth their weight in gold for bounceback protection.
Growing old is not for the timid.

#22 Madd Mike #8595

Madd Mike #8595

Wire Vet

• Territorial Governors
  • 14,248 posts
  • Interests:old chevy trucks
  • SASS# 8595L/R Madd Mike
  • Eldorado Cowboys-Lone Wolf

Posted 08 March 2014 - 01:03 PM

everyone has to learn to, try many different things, then do what works best for them

my comment about muffs was only that I think no matter how small they are, that they may impede proper cheek to stock contact, but that is only one average shooters opinion

I you can not ride a horse without spurs, then perhaps, you should not be riding

#23 Randy Saint Eagle, SASS # 64903

Randy Saint Eagle, SASS # 64903

SASS Wire Vet

• Members
  • 2,252 posts
  • Interests:NRA Life member
  • SASS# 64903
  • Wartrace Regulators

Posted 08 March 2014 - 01:23 PM

I recommend these:

http://www.opticspla...protectors.html

Have used them for years, just remember to throw a spare set of batteries in your range bag… so easy to talk and shoot without constantly putting plugs in, then taking them out...

I used these when I shot Bullseye and I really liked them. For Cowboy I like the custom molded earplugs better.

Randy

2007,2008,2009 Tennessee B-Western State Champion
2011,2012 Tennessee Double Duelist State Champion
2013 Tennessee Senior Duelist State Champion

http://wartracecowboys.blogspot.com/

#24 Warden Callaway

Warden Callaway

SASS Wire Vet

• Members
  • 1,306 posts
  • SASS# 99098
  • Owl Creek Raiders

Posted 08 March 2014 - 03:55 PM

We did a tour of the gunshops in our area. Mary bought a pair of Caldwell E-Max behind the neck electronic muffs and a pair of el-cheapo clear plastic safety glasses that fit over her prescription glasses. We spent far more in gas for the F150 than we spent on muffs and glasses.
Life member NRA

#25 Chili Pepper Kid, SASS #60463

Chili Pepper Kid, SASS #60463

• Members
  • 4,145 posts
  • Interests:Salsa (Blue ribbons 99,04 Iowa State Fair), gardening and canning.
  • SASS# 60463, SBSS #2246
  • Zen Shootists, Fort Des Moines Rangers. Ioway chapter Dooley Gang, Official cooler wrangler. Classic Cowboy!!

Posted 08 March 2014 - 04:55 PM

Warden:

My wife, Bookworm Sandy, was very uncomfortable with the standard ear plugs. We finally got her a set of custom molded ear plugs and the problem was solved. It turned out that her ear canals were very small in diameter, and the expanding foam plugs applied too much pressure for comfort. The custom plugs were somewhere around $50-75, I think, but more than worth it for her. She had hers done by a vendor at "Fandango," the Wisconsin State Shoot.

CS

+1 on the molded ear plugs. I got mine from the vendor at Fandango also. I have slept with them in after working nightshifts and couldn't sleep with all the daytime noise in our neighborhood. Also take them to races and such.

SASS Vet #70, USN.

Best Dressed Working Cowboy, 2013 Midwest Regional "Gunsmoke"

Best Dressed Cowboy, 2014 Iowa SASS Championship

Spirit Of The Game Award, 2014 Midwest Regional "Gunsmoke"

#26 Bad Brass

Bad Brass
  • Members
  • 113 posts
  • Interests:Shooting 45 Long Colt
  • SASS# 84355
  • Wolverine Rangers, Sucker Creek, RO II, Classic Cowboy, 45 Long Colt

Posted 08 March 2014 - 06:30 PM

Check out Radians ear plugs, MidwayUSA sells them. They are custom molded kit that you do at home, my wife and I both use them. Under twenty bucks.
Fill your hand you son of a bitch!

#27 Doc McCoy, SASS #8381

Doc McCoy, SASS #8381

• TG & RO Instructor
  • 127 posts
  • Interests:CAS, camping at CAS shoots
    NRA Basic Rifle & Pistol Instructor, NRA RSO
    Ham Radio, EMT, hiking
    Other time consuming expensive hobbies (so I'm told)
  • SASS# 8381
  • Verdant Mountain Vigilantes, The Dalton Gang

Posted 09 March 2014 - 01:55 PM

I use side shields on my regular polycarbonate glasses.

http://www.safetygla...a.com/b-52.html

These are the brand I have and I like them very much except when it's very humid.  Then they fog my glasses due to lack of air circulation.  I may get a secong set and grind them off a bit for more air.  That will expose me more, but beats the alternative of not using them, or using more a flimsy design.

Territorial Governor, RO III, Verdant Mountain Vigilantes
Match Director, VT State Championship, Green Mountain Mayhem
http://www.greenmountainmayhem.com/

7th Frontiersman, EOT 2014

#28 Mack Hacker, #60477

Mack Hacker, #60477

• Members
  • 3,717 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Classic Doubles, Grandkids
  • SASS# 60477
  • Comanche Valley Vigilantes, Lone Star Frontier Shooting Club, Old Fort Parker Patriots

Posted 09 March 2014 - 05:14 PM

Just something to keep in mind. If you buy custom molded plugs and then lose 40-50 lbs they may no longer fit.

Mack Hacker
Irish frontier computer programmer

I'm a great believer in doin' nuthin. (Paden, Silverado)